Issa, who the Washington Post reported, held a Congressional seat for the 49th district, for eighteen years had declined to run in 2018 saying at the time that he was “looking forward to the next chapter in,” his life.
The former House Oversight Committee Chairman said on Thursday that he made the decision after his exploratory committee received over 2000 requests and donations to challenge Hunter, who was indicted last summer.
Hunter along with his wife Margaret Hunter were charged last year for using more than $250,000 in campaign funds to pay for personal expenses.
According to the press release issued by the U.S. States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California, the couple being using campaign donations to fund family vacations in 2009 and continued through 2016. Both pleaded not guilty at the time.
In June Margaret Hunter as the News Blender reported entered into a plea deal, her husband according to NBC News producer Alex Moe said, “it’s sad that they were able to bludgeon her into submission. We’ve got some Hillary lawyers her in San Diego. I look Forward to going to trail.”
Hunter’s trail is scheduled to start in January of 2020 according to The San Diego Union-Tribune, Hunter’s legal troubles had attracted over six other Republican challengers, including former El Cajon Mayor Bill Wells.
Wells joined Issa’s at his announcement Thursday morning telling reporters that with Issa, a man Wells respects that the 50th District will be represented by an “iconic conservative.”
Not all present at the announcement were supporting Issa’s run, including challenger Carl DeMaio who called Issa a quitter for bowing out of 2018. Issa’s replacement, Democrat Mike Levin, easily defeated Republican Diane Harkey in the mid-term elections.
Issa had in September of last year been nominated to lead the U.S. Trade and Development Agency by President Trump, but his confirmation hit a snag over an issue in his FBI background check the Washington Post reported last Thursday.